The good morning exercise is a simple motion that can be done with a barbell in the gym or at home, and it provides the perfect range of motion to target your lower back, abdomen, and even hamstrings.
1. Start out with a barbell with a small amount of weight, and place it across your shoulders.
It is important that the barbell rests on your upper back trapezius muscles, and again, start out with a comfortable weight until you become more experienced in this exercise.
2. In this exercise, make sure that your feet are shoulder width apart, and tighten your abdominals so that they are engaged throughout the motion.
3. Make sure that you keep your back straight through each repetition, and bend at your hips until you feel your hamstrings engage at the back of your thighs.
4. At this point, you will bend a little further forward for a stretch, but make sure not to do anything that is painful or uncomfortable.
It is important to keep your back straight and neutral in this exercise, and take care not to strain or hunch over. Your legs also need to be kept straight through the entire exercise, and don’t bend at your knees.
Your range of motion for this exercise will depend upon how flexible you are in your glutes and hamstrings.
* Make sure not to exert yourself too far in this exercise if you are inflexible and stiff because it could cause a pulled muscle or another injury.
* When this exercise is done correctly, it is incredibly powerful to shape and tone your lower back, which will also give you the strength that you need to prevent injury in the future.
* Since you are using a barbell for the good morning exercise, you can transition into it after doing military presses or bent over rows as a part of your complete upper body workout routine.
* If you have any questions or concerns about performing this exercise, make sure to do it with a spotter or start with a barbell without any weight on it until you get more comfortable. From there, you can increase your weight gradually as you build up your strength.
This is the ideal exercise for men and women to strengthen their lower back and provide impressive shape and definition to their hamstrings and glutes!