An essential part of a complete workout is exercising your abdominals, yet many people overlook the results that they could get from doing an easy oblique crunch.
Why is that? For one reason, many people do not even know what obliques are, and many more people simply rely on a regular sit-up to get the job done.
What are obliques?
Obliques are the abdominal muscles on either side of your body, and they are often known as the love handles. If you want to get rid of these love handles, the best way to do so is with a crunch sit-up like the one I am about to show you. This will target either side of your abs.
1. To start the crunch exercise, lay flat on your back, and cross your left foot over your right knee. Keep both hands behind your head.
2. Make sure to start with your lower back pressed into the floor, and lift your shoulder blades from the floor while curling your upper body diagonally toward your left knee.
3. Contract your abs at the same time to target your obliques in this crunch.
4. Return to your original position with resistance as you move back down to the floor.
5. Repeat this movement for 12 to 16 reps before you switch sides.
Although this may seem simple, a core oblique crunch definitely packs a punch because it will whittle down the stubborn love handles on either side of your stomach.
What many people do not realize is that having this type of stubborn belly fat is not only unattractive, but it is also dangerous to your health.
If your midsection is out of proportion with the rest of your body, you could be at risk for potential heart disease or other conditions, like diabetes.
This type of crunch also provides the added benefit in strengthening all core muscles, which will take the pressure off of your back to prevent injury. If you often experience chronic back pain, this is the simple exercise that you have been looking for to provide balance and relieve strain on your lower back.
The bottom line is that doing an exercise like an easy crunch workout will not only give you a body that you can be proud of, but it will also help to protect your back and prevent the risk for disease.
This is truly an effective way to enhance the results that you are hoping to get in defining your abs through exercise!