Believe it or not, one of the most common causes of chronic back pain is sitting throughout the day.
If you spend your time at a desk job or sitting at home all day long, you too may be the sufferer of frequent back pain.
Fortunately, using the right exercise will help to strengthen weak muscles and release any tension that may be causing serious back pain in your life.
Try these easy back pain exercises at home to strengthen your core and improve flexibility:
• Wall Hamstring Stretch:
This exercise focuses on your hamstrings, which will relieve pressure and tension in your lower back when they are stretched and strengthened. Hamstring stretching is ideal to lengthen this muscle to reduce stress on your back and greatly improve your daily mobility.
1. To perform this exercise, stand facing a wall in your home, and place the toes of one foot against the wall to feel a deep stretch in your calf and hamstring.
2. Alternate this stretch on both feet for 45 seconds each, and repeat several times per day.
• Locus Pose:
This yoga exercise is simple to perform and will greatly relax tired and sore muscles in your back.
1. Start the exercise by lying on your stomach with your head turned to the side in a comfortable position.
2. Place both of your hands next to your chest on the floor with your elbows bent and legs together.
3. Inhale and lift your chest and legs from the mat at the same time.
4. Keep your head facing the center, and straighten your legs behind you, keeping them a few inches apart.
5. Exhale and contract the muscles in your chest and legs, holding the position for several seconds before returning to the starting position.
6. Repeat this exercise 6 times to strengthen weak muscles in your back.
• Lunge Stretch:
This back pain exercise will stretch your hip flexors and lower back muscles to relieve built-up tension in your hips.
1. Begin this exercise in a kneeling position, placing your hands on your hips.
2. Bring your right foot in front of you to enter a lunge position, and move forward, stretching your hips.
3. Hold this position for 10 seconds, and repeat 10 times on each leg.
If you are experiencing chronic back pain, it is important to strength train and perform cardio workouts regularly.
If you sit at a desk all day long, it is also essential to get up and stretch periodically, performing one of the above back pain exercises to relieve tension and prevent stiff muscles.