We’ve all struggled with back pain from time to time, either from a long day at work or even a tough workout.
However, when it comes to your overall health and fitness, it is essential to understand that weak back muscles actually increase your risk of chronic back pain and injury.
This is precisely why back pain exercises should be a part of your regular workout routine to provide balance and strengthen weak muscles that could be strained or pulled in daily activity.
Strengthening your weak back muscles can reduce, prevent, and possibly eliminate existing back pain.
Here are some of the best back pain exercises to add to your workout routine:
• Pelvic Tilt:
This choice in exercises will strengthen your lower abdominals and stretch your lower back at the same time.
1. Start the exercise by lying on your back with your knees bent.
2. Exhale and contract your abs as you suck in your stomach and flatten your lower back to the floor.
3. Hold this exercise for 5 seconds and repeat 10 times for the greatest results.
• The Plank:
This is a yoga choice in exercising that will strengthen your entire core and greatly reduce your risk for injury.
1. Start out by lying flat on your stomach on a workout mat, and push yourself up onto your toes and forearms.
2. Hold this plank position for up to 30 seconds, and repeat 5 times for a set.
If you find that this exercise is too difficult due to a back injury, start out by balancing on your knees until you gain strength.
• Wall Squat:
This is one of the best strengthening exercises that will tone your back, hips, and quads.
1. Start by standing with your back against a wall, with your feet roughly 2 feet from the wall.
2. Slowly slide down the wall until your knees bend to a 90° angle in a squatting position.
3. Hold this position for 5 seconds, and repeat 10 times for a set. If you have a difficulty performing this exercise, only go down to a 45° angle until you gain strength.
While these back pain exercises will greatly improve your mobility and range of motion to reduce chronic back pain, you can also use therapeutic treatments to relax and soothe your back.
Professional treatments in hot and cold therapies, deep tissue massage, and even ultrasound will increase your circulation, reduce stiffness, and stretch injured and sore muscles.
It is important to protect the health of your back to reduce pain and prevent injury in the future!