If you have managed to add size to your biceps and define your shoulders, you still may be lacking in the back of your arms where your triceps are located.
It may be difficult to find the right exercise to tone your arms, but when you do, you will have a well-rounded shape, size, and definition to your upper body.
The truth is that even if you workout your biceps to the max, if your triceps aren’t toned, it will make your arms look imbalanced. That’s exactly why it pays to find the best tricep exercise for the cut and toned upper body that you have been looking for!
As a basic guideline, the best tricep exercise should be done in 6 to 10 reps in 3 to 4 sets per session. If you want to gain size and strength, shoot for 6 to 10 reps in each set.
If you want to gain strength and maximum definition, then go for 12 to 15 reps per set at a lighter weight. The amount of reps that you do in the best tricep exercise will depend entirely upon your individual fitness goals.
Many fitness professionals believe that tricep dips are the best tricep exercise to start with. But they are not for the faint of heart!
1. Sit on the edge of a chair or workout bench.
2. Hold the front of the chair with both hands, and keep your body steady.
Make sure that your knuckles face forward, and plant your feet on the floor in front of you. If this position proves to be too difficult, then you can pull your feet closer to your body and bend at the knees to lower the resistance.
3. Lift yourself off of the chair with your hands, and lower your glutes until your arms reach a 90° angle.
4. Push yourself back to the starting position, but do not lock your elbows.
5. Repeat this exercise in 6 to 10 reps in 3 to 4 sets to complete your best tricep exercise session.
When performing tricep dips, you may find that this exercise is much more difficult than anticipated. Even if you regularly lift weights and train your triceps, the tricep dip uses your whole body as resistance, so you may have to start out with fewer repetitions until you build your arm strength.
Another option in the best tricep exercise is the tricep extension performed lying down.
1. Lie down on your back on the workout bench, and hold a barbell steady over your chest at arm’s length.
2. Keep your arms straight, and slowly lower the barbell until it almost reaches your forehead. The purpose of this exercise is to put all of the weight resistance on your triceps, and you will definitely feel the burn.
3. Return the barbell to your starting position, and repeat the exercise for 6 to 10 reps in 3 to 4 sets to complete your session.
If you have equipment available to you at the gym, then you can use the cable machine for the tricep pushdown. This is a top choice in tricep exercises because it uses cable resistance and gravity to work your triceps effectively.
1. Stand with your feet shoulder width apart, slightly bent at the knees.
2. Grasp the bar on the cable machine with your palms facing downward.
3. Keep your upper arms straight against your sides, and bend slightly at the elbows to push down on the bar until your arms are straight.
4. From there, release the extension and return to your starting position slowly. To complete this exercise, perform 6 to 10 reps in 3 to 4 sets to tone and define your triceps.
When you perform the top three choices in tricep exercises, you will finally see the results that you have been hoping for in a strong and defined upper body.
This is your opportunity to balance out your bicep and shoulder training by defining your triceps and increasing the size of your arms.