If you are having a difficult time targeting your love handles, the core side plank could be the exercise that you have been missing.
Many people overlook the side plank workout because it is a simple yoga pose, yet it packs a powerful punch.
The obliques are the muscles found on either side of the abdominals, and they are often referred to as love handles. Still, once you start to practice this abdominal exercise, your obliques will become toned and strong, and you can kiss your love handles goodbye!
The greatest benefit to this exercise is that it provides balance. It will help you to workout neglected areas of your abdominal region, which will relieve pressure from your back to prevent injury.
Here is how to begin:
1. Start on a yoga mat or soft surface.
2. Lay down on your right side.
3. Keep your right forearm against the mat at a right angle toward your body, and stack your feet on top of each other.
4. Lift your weight onto your forearm and the right side of your foot so that your body is raised from the mat.
5. Create a straight and fluid line from head to toe.
6. Rest your other arm on your left side, or lift it straight into the air.
7. Tighten your abdominal muscles, and hold this pose for 10 seconds.
8. Turn, and repeat this pose on the other side.
You can start out by holding the core for only 10 seconds, and then you can progress to a minute on each side. This yoga pose will provide the added benefit of strengthening your upper body, namely your shoulder muscles as you hold your weight steady.
The key to this core exercise is to keep all weight balanced and focus only on strengthening your abdominals.
Your legs and arms should not be doing the work for you because this is the opportunity to strengthen the deeper muscles within your core.
Take the time to relax throughout the exercise with deep breathing, and remember not to hold your breath. There are also variations of this exercise that you can do by lifting your upper leg that is stacked on top of the other to make this pose even more difficult for an advanced exerciser.
This is one of the top yoga exercises to dramatically impact your abdominal muscles and give you a toned physique that you will be proud of!